Juan's wife didn't think he really hated his dad, but he did.
Only one reason not to pero hubo mucho razones not to like him at all, un chingo de razones.
Era un borracho, a wife-beater, a tyrant, un wannabe macho who shot a gun at his own son.
I love the way you open your story: "Juan's wife didn't think he really hated his dad, but he did." Bam. Lay it out there from the get-go. I don't understand some of the Spanish but in a way I don't need to know what they all mean. I like the "Spanglish"; gives the reader an "in' into the the narrator's head.
ReplyDeleteI like how the Spanish and English inform each other. Don't know what a borracho is, but I got a good idea now. Love the mix in "un wannabe macho"! And shooting a gun at his own son...this line carries weight. I'd love to see this scene in a flashback if you're thinking of expanding this.
ReplyDeleteYeah, the Spanglish, que poetic! You should write that way more often! I love the sound of this, so dismissive of the father. I'm curious what the one reason is, maybe just "because he's your father," and I really like the effect of not having it spelled out.
ReplyDelete