My mom and her friends would say that I was “dark.” “Nee how hei,” literally, “You so black.” would greet me like a big slap in the face every time I entered any of my “aunties’’‘ houses for a visit. Thus began the dysmorphic relationship to my body. I thought I was ugly because I was dark. I thought I was ugly because I was fat. I thought I was ugly because I laughed with my mouth wide open and cackled, so unladylike, so un-Chinese.
As my thoughts grew somber and dark like my skin I began skipping school. I hid in the horse trail behind our Spanish stucco courtyard, hidden in a gated community on the cliffs. Sitting cross legged on the prickly tan bark, whiffing unseen horse droppings, I listened to music from bands in a faraway place called England where it was foggy and dark and somber all the time, much like my moods. Voices wailing of “girlfriends in comas” and “bizarre love triangles” and of “love that will tear us apart again” spoke to my loneliness. That music saved my life and empowered the darkness that was within and throughout me. Somehow, those years spent sitting in the dirt on the horse trail dodging my formal education, something magical happened. Somewhere within dark ugly flat faced chinky self, the self that had no esteem and no authority, another voice began to surface. My higher self rose up and whispered in not so many words, “you must endure and by enduring, this shall pass and a wondrous life will reveal itself.”
I really love this; I'm just sorry that I didn't comment on it sooner. I was so sick last week! The opening is great -- I wanted to linger there a little longer because it's so rich with family dynamics, cool language, and such a great conflict. I really identified with the part about music too. Ha ha, "I am human and I need to be looved, just like everybody else does." This, to me, definitely yearns to be longer and fully realized -- seems like a lot more happened between "voice began to surface" and "my higher self rose up."
ReplyDeleteI am so sad that you can't come to Saturday Night Special this month because I love all our darkness stories so much! (But I know I'll love next month's stories just as much).
ReplyDeleteI love the opening, especially the Chinese and the translation; I hear both of them in your mom's voice. The meanings of darkness are so great here, too. I love how "dark" to your mother would have meant something like masculine, working-class, outdoorsy, where as to you it was gothy (which is associated with dark clothes, dark moods, but pale skin...weird). This is great: "As my thoughts grew somber and dark like my skin" and so is "a faraway place called England where it was foggy and dark and somber all the time." Funny but also sad and familiar and true.
Oh and since I already used "love" like seventy times in that comment, I'll add that I love the ending, the juxtaposition between "dark ugly flat faced chinky self" (Chinky is so fucking awesome there, even the sound of it), and the mythical ending that makes me want to cry.
ReplyDelete